Careers at SMP
We have identified our core competencies that are the observable abilities, skills, knowledge or traits in terms of behaviours needed for successful job performance within our organization:
- Team Performance and Collaboration. Work collaboratively within a team and build on the perspectives of others to achieve common goals.
- Client Service Excellence. Create customer value by building trust, understanding our client’s needs and being reliable.
- Change and Innovation. Challenge the status quo and strive to develop new approaches.
- Results Management. Focus efforts on achieving results consistent with the company’s objectives.
- Continuous Learning and Mentoring. Identify opportunities for growth to enhance professional performance.
- Technical Competencies. Confidently complete the technical requirements required for the role.
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Start Date: Immediately
Posted: May 30, 2023
Are you ready to flex your electrical design muscles, show your commitment, share your knowledge, and connect with others? You know that both your experience and education have set you up to be a talented Electrical Designer.
You know that you want a team that is collaborative and has no issue being held to a high standard of excellence. You want an organization that rewards their team members for outstanding performance, invests in mentorship and leadership opportunities, and always remembers to have a bit of fun along the way.
You are ready to ignite your career at SMP Engineering!
Duties & Responsibilities
As an Electrical Designer, you will have the following impact on the organization:
Assist the project team with the design of electrical systems for various building facilities, under supervision of a senior electrical designer/electrical engineer
- Working knowledge of electrical design and supporting calculations which may include single line drawings, feeder sizing, panel and distribution board sizing, motor control schedules, fault and voltage drop calculations
- Designs may include power distribution, lighting (indoor and outdoor), power generation, controls, life safety (i.e., fire alarm, public address, and nurse call), voice/data communications and basic security/CCTV systems and lighting calculations
- Prepare drawings in AutoCAD / Revit, preparing project documentation, and coordinating with other engineering disciplines.
- Participate during the Contract Administration phase by attending site visits/reviews and document site conditions. Complete site investigations and document electrical equipment.
On your resume, we will be looking for the following qualifications:
- 1-3 years of related professional experience preferred (oil and gas experience will not be considered)
- Background as an Engineer-in-Training, Certified Engineering Technologist, Technologist-in-Training or Electrician are considered strong assets; and/or hold an Electrical Journeyman certificate within the province of Alberta or an inter-provincial seal
- Experience with AutoCAD and Revit is considered an asset
- Basic computer literacy and working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Microsoft Outlook, and Bluebeam
- Past commercial, retail, office, residential and institutional project experience preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of provincial and federal electrical and building codes
- Ability to think and act independently and strategically
- Ability to work well in multiple team dynamics in-person in our office
- Comfortable working in a team environment with constant changing deadlines
During the interview process we will be looking for behaviours and competencies that reflect:
- Excellent communication skills
- The methods you have used to check for quality, especially when you have had to meet tight deadlines
- Your past history of working collaboratively as a team
- Your commitment to personal growth
- Your track record for meeting deadlines and being on budget with projects
Why should you apply to SMP?
- A values driven team – we ensure that all team members have a foundation to connect, demonstrate their knowledge and are committed to making every better than the last!
- Getting to work on interesting projects right in your local community
- A competitive base salary based on experience and background
- Opportunity for annual bonus
- An excellent benefits package that provides both flexibility and peace of mind
- A commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusivity to ensure that all staff are empowered to use their voice
While we appreciate all applications, only those who are legally able to work in Canada should apply. The position is located in Calgary and regular meeting attendance is required. Please address your resume to Kevin Showalter.